Thursday, October 15, 2009

Day in Burano



Burano is the most beautiful little island I have ever seen. The colors are magnificent. All the buildings are painted bright colors. The colours of the houses follow a specific system originating from the golden age of its development; if someone wishes to paint their home, one must send a request to the government, who will respond by making notice of the certain colours permitted for that lot. This practice has resulted in the myriad of warm, pastelly colours that characterises the island today. I was a little disappointed because it was a cloudy day. You couldn’t really see the reflections of the colors on the water as well.

Burano is an island in the Venetian lagoon, although like Venice itself it could more correctly be called an archipelgo of islands linked by bridges. It lies near Torcello at the northern end of the Lagoon, and is known for its lacework. Burano is situated 7 kilometers from Venice, a short 40 minute trip by Venetian motorboats, "vaporetti". The current population of Burano is about 4,000. It is small and quaint. Very charming.
I ate lunch at this great little restaurant named Riva Rosa Ristorante-Enteca , which was not a typical tourist location. It was a little off the main drag. The restaurant was quite elegant with very sophisticated waiters. Not what I was expecting for a little fishing village. I had Ravioli stuffed with Seabass and sprinkled with Mullet Tobargo. The food just melted in my mouth. I also enjoyed a great glass of Pinot Grigio with my meal.

I traveled back to the mainland Venice arriving at the Fondemente Nove and walked my way through all the little calles that wind through the city until I reached San Marco. I took a vaporetto down to Rialto to meet with Matteo, one of my vendors. I spent an wonderful hour with him looking at new items. His creations are so beautiful. He gave me some samples for my business and I was off to take more photographs. I’m loving my camera!

Tonight I am going to the Opera to see La Traviata. Another magnificent day in Venice!

No comments:

Post a Comment